Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Engaging w/ Elul August 8, 2013

An anonymous poem reads:

I sought my God, my God I could not see.
I sought my soul, my soul eluded me.
I sought my fellow man and I found all three.

The authenticity of self is often tested in relationships.  There is a spotlight on who I am when I engage in relating to others.  I know that I have the opportunity in every interaction with others to learn; I learn about the other and myself.  I find that my relationships often serve as a mirror, a reflection, of my own navigation of the world.  When others respond -  how others respond - I can examine the way my own soul is guiding me in word and deed.  This reaches even deeper, often, when I discover the best of myself working to overcome futile search for answers, rushing to judgment and other shortcomings.

Relationships, though, take a great deal of work.  I find that spending time each day reflecting on as many interactions as I can recall aids this searching.  Anne Frank taught me this when she wrote, “How noble and good everyone could be if, every evening before falling asleep, they were to recall to their minds the events of the whole day and consider exactly what had been good and bad. Then, without realizing it, you try to improve yourself at the start of each new day. Of course, you achieve quite a lot in the course of time. Anyone can do this. It costs nothing and is certainly very helpful. Whoever doesn’t know it must learn and find by experience that: 'A quiet conscience makes one strong.'’”

The interplay between the quiet conscience, the time for oneself and the reaching out to the world the searching for our fellow human beings is life.

For what are you searching this Elul?  What have you found in years past?  How does your search lead you back to your own authentic expressions of self?

Make Today a Great Day,

Rabbi Evon

3 comments:

  1. Many times it is easy to reflect on the very good or very bad parts of your day. Just having the serenity to recall all the transactions of the day is huge undertaking. When life is complex it can be challenging to "own" up to your actions and reactions. Your perception can change as time goes by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In sifting all that one can remember, in action and deed, from a day gone by, perspective sure can change. Yet, I hope, indeed I pray, that one can find absolutes of good and maybe not so, that help define the person we want to be becoming. Thanks so much for sharing your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The words we use are very powerful. They can be used to provide much comfort or cause considerable pain. Occasionally, we don't even know how our words have affected others. If I feel I have been misunderstood, either as the speaker or receiver, I will ask for clarification. This often helps clear up any misunderstanding and begins a conversation. One thing I have learned through the years is that there are times when words are not needed and a gentle touch or a hug will be most comforting. Silence really can be golden.

    My husband, often uses an Asian quote, "There are 3 things that never return, a runaway horse, a spent arrow and angry words."

    ReplyDelete