Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Engaging w/ Elul August 14, 2013

From the writings of Martin Buber:


Next to being the children of God, our greatest privilege is being the brothers of each other. … A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for. … All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.

This season of Elul, of preparing for the Days of Awe, charges us to dig deep.  We must look so far into ourselves and mine the character we have developed for the best self within.  Discovery, and knowing our role(s) in life is part of that process.  Yet, how can one truly know our individual ‘purpose’ or mission in living?  While, in the words of Buber, we may not know the destination, the journey reveals sparks, moments that are illuminated with a sense of purpose.  I can say with certainty that part of that journey, part of my purpose, has become, or always was just unrealized, is being a father.  In my professional work as a rabbi I am often hesitant to consider it a ‘calling’, yet I am certainly called to my life as a father.  Reaching the first year of my son’s life has been truly a journey with secret destinations of which I am unaware.  But, the oases along the way have been amazing, continue to inspire and only leave me yearning for more as I hold tight to the present. 

As we engage in the month of Elul, our preparation, let being in relationship with one another, family, friend or community, be a privilege.  And may each of us find secret and yet amazing destinations on that journey of reaching to one another.

Make Today a Great Day,

Rabbi Evon

No comments:

Post a Comment