Thursday, August 29, 2013

Engaging w/ Elul August 30, 2013

This Elul stuff is pretty hard.  Finding the right way, or at least the right way for right now, to engage in this deep introspection keeps leading me down paths that are not my own.  What I mean is that I consider an action, a word shared, an action not done that should have been done and its almost always in comparison to others.  How do I, how does one, only reflect on him or herself?  The spiritual curriculum of taking an accounting of our soul must be authentic to oneself.  It must be the unique checklist for the person you want to, not better:  can be or become. 

Yet, I am not sure what the place is for reflection through the lens of the lives of others.  There must be a communal component. 

May this final Shabbat, the final day before Slichot bring us closer to that fine balance between reflecting ourselves against our best selves and the exemplary parts of others.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Evon

No comments:

Post a Comment